School Uniform & Equipment
We want all of our students to feel a sense of pride and solidarity in being part of our school community. Complying with our uniform expectations is a public expression of support for our school INSPIRE values and indicates a readiness to work hard and make progress together.
All students in Years 7-11 should wear the following items:
- WHP Trust School Blazer | Available from Morleys or Big Fish Schoolwear. Blazers must be worn at all times unless permission is given to remove them due to warm weather or temperatures, or for health and safety reasons in some lessons.
- Alderman White School Tie | Available from Morleys or Big Fish Schoolwear *
- Shirt | Plain white school shirt (long or short sleeved) with the top button done up. Capped sleeves or sleeveless shirts/blouses are not permitted. The shirt must be fully tucked in to the waistband of the skirt/trousers.
- Skirt | Plain black pleated or straight school skirt which must sit on or just above the knee. The skirt must not be rolled up at the waistband. Please note that tube skirts or elastane are not permitted.
Trousers | Plain black loose fitting/boot cut trousers worn at the waist. Narrow tight fitted, skinny fit or cropped trousers are not permitted. It is not permitted to wear tracksuit/jogging bottoms underneath school trousers.
- Plain black or white socks or plain black or neutral tights | Trainer socks, footless tights or leggings are not permitted.
- Shoes | Black sensible, practical and safe leather type school shoes. Flat or with low heels only. Boots, trainers, sandals, canvas, suede, plimsolls, or branded footwear are not acceptable (even if black in colour).
* Our school ties are clip-on for ease of use and to ensure consistency in appearance. Where parents would prefer that their child wears a tie that is not clip-on, these can be purchased directly from school reception. Parents who choose this option must ensure that their child wears their tie neatly and correctly tied.
Your child should have suitable face coverings to be worn when we need to “step up” our coronavirus protective measures plan, unless they have an exemption. These can be cloth or disposable.
Jumper or cardigan | (Optional and can be worn in addition to blazer) Black and embroidered with the Alderman White School logo. Sold by Morley’s Schoolwear and Big Fish Schoolwear. Sweatshirts are not permitted.
Coats | A sensible waterproof coat in a plain single colour with no significant lettering or large logos is required. Coats must fit over the blazer and are not an alternative to it.
Headscarves worn for religious or cultural reasons should be black or dark blue.
Hats may be worn outside for warmth in winter and protection from the sun, especially in the summer. Hats and coat hoods may not be worn inside. Baseball caps are not allowed on site.
All school items must be labelled with your child’s name.
Items that are not allowed in school
Hoodies may not be brought into school.
Fashion jackets, sports tops, leather coats/jackets and denim jackets are not permitted.
Make-up, Hair and Jewellery
The only jewellery allowed is one small sleeper or stud in each ear.
No other jewellery is permitted. Any piercings other than in ear lobes are not allowed in school and will have to be removed before your child attends lessons.
Students must not wear any noticeable make up.
An analogue or digital watch may be worn. Smart watches are not allowed in school.
Gel nails, nail extensions and nail varnish are not permitted in school and will have to be removed before your child attends lessons.
Hairstyles should not be extreme – no tram lines or shaved patterns.
Hair colour should look natural - no dip-dyed hair.
It is our intention that our uniform requirements are inclusive and comply with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. Please contact Mrs Holling with any questions relating to cultural or religious requirements.
PE Uniform Expectations
Students in Years 7-10 must have the correct PE kit – no non-uniform items are allowed
- WHP Trust short sleeve training T-shirt
- WHP Trust ¼ zip micro fleece
- WHP Trust shorts & black football socks, or WHP Trust tracksuit bottoms, or WHP Trust Leggings
Recommended Additional Items:
- Base Layer (WHP Trust or Plain Black)
- Gum shield
- Shin pads
- Football Boots
NO JEWELLERY TO BE WORN IN ANY PE LESSONS.
Year 7 and 8: students should wear full PE kit to school on days that they have PE. Students without full PE kit should wear they usual uniform and bring trainers and any PE uniform items that they do have.
Year 9 – 11: students are expected to wear full school uniform on days that they have PE. They should bring their PE kit to school with them and use the changing facilities for PE lessons.
Our uniform and PE kit suppliers:
116-118 Bramcote Avenue, Chilwell, NG9 4DR
Tel: 0115 925 8046
Big Fish School Wear
Web username: Alderman
Web password: AW123
Items that are not allowed in school will be confiscated and returned at the end of the school day.
Students may not be able to attend lessons until they are in correct uniform. We will always try to resolve any issues as quickly as possible by asking parents to bring the missing item into school or loaning a clean replacement item.
Property and Personal Equipment
Your child must have the following equipment with them in school every day (all items as far as possible should be clearly labelled or marked):
A pencil case or tin containing:
- At least 2 black/blue pens (more is fine)
- 2 green pens
- Pencil and sharpener
- Ruler (preferably 30 cm)
- Glue stick
- Coloured pens or pencils
- School compliant scientific calculator (can be purchased from school for £8.50 if not already owned) – details of how to order remotely are available from the school reception.
The following equipment will be provided by school and your child must take it with them to every lesson:
- Reading book - these will be borrowed from the school library
- Mini whiteboard and pen
- School planner – these will be provided to Year 7 and 8 students and can be purchased from reception is required by students in Year 9-11.
A suitable school bag large enough to contain the equipment above as well as schoolbooks / folders / additional equipment when these are required to be taken home.
If you require support with providing uniform or equipment please contact your Progress Leader via the email address below…
Food Technology Ingredients (on the days where required)
You will be notified of this via stickers in planners / recipe sheets which will also be available on the Google Classroom as assignments.
Lockers are available to all students on request.
We would encourage parents to pay for lunches on sQuid. If you would prefer to pay in cash, please avoid sending large sums of money into school unless for a specific reason (for example paying for a trip), although this can be avoided by using the ParentPay system. Any money that is brought in should be stored securely about the person and not left unattended in bags or coat pockets.
Liability and Insurance
The school cannot be responsible for personal equipment , although naturally, we try hard to create a safe environment. Students should not bring in valuables, for example, mobile phones, iPods, iPads, or electric games into school. We cannot be held responsible for any of these items in the event of loss or breakage.
It is very sensible if all possessions are clearly marked with the owner’s name. This makes the task of searching for lost property much easier.