Temporary Uniform Variation
Considering the pandemic and the associated risk of transmission (as well as consideration of any financial implications that may have affected some families), a temporary variation to the school uniform requirements has been agreed with governors for September 2020.
Although they will return as part of the full school uniform at some point during the academic year, blazers and ties will not be required for September. All other full school uniform expectations remain, although plain black V neck jumpers or cardigans may be worn as an alternative to a V neck jumper or cardigan with the school logo.
Some examples of appropriate plain black school cardigans or jumpers
All other uniform requirements remain the same including PE uniform. Financial support with uniform is available to families who meet the means tested criteria. For children in Year 7, any issues with providing full PE kit at the start of term for financial reasons will be dealt with individually – please contact Ms Friend, Progress Leader if you need to discuss this.
We will review this variation on a half termly basis and give as much notice as possible when we return to our normal uniform policy.
Parents may choose to wash school uniform more frequently at a 60 degree temperature, (or even for children returning home from school to shower, change and wash clothes as an additional protective measure), although this is no longer included in government guidance as infection levels have reduced.
Permanent Uniform Change from September 2020
From September 2020, coats worn to school by students can be any single colour. They must not contain any large lettering or logos and must adhere to the criteria of being a sensible, single colour, weatherproof outdoor coat. No denim or leather jackets, tracksuit tops, hoodies, or fashion jackets please.
School Uniform & Equipment
We believe it is important that all our students should be of a smart appearance and appropriately dressed for school. Our uniform policy is intended to be simple and economical for parents and is designed to give a clear image for the school.
Our school uniform is:
- Alderman White (WHP Trust) School blazer (temporarily optional from September 2020 – to be reviewed ½ termly).
- Alderman White school tie (as above).
- Optional: Black Alderman White school jumper or cardigan with school logo (or a plain black V-neck jumper or cardigan, as a temporary variation from September 2020).
- Plain, black school trousers (trousers must be tailored but not skinny fit or cropped), or a knee length skirt (no tube skirts).
- Plain, white shirt which buttons up to the collar. (Long or Short sleeved).
- Plain, black, sensible (low heeled) shoes. No trainers are to be worn on site, except in PE lessons.
- Headscarves worn for religious or cultural reasons must be black or dark blue.
- Plain black ankle or knee-high socks (no trainer socks), or plain black tights with a skirt.
- A sensible waterproof coat in a single colour with no significant lettering or large logos.
Hoodies are not permitted in school at any time, including PE days - a plain back sweater is acceptable to keep students warm on days where they have PE if they do not have the 1/4 zip school micro fleece.
Please note the following:
- No Hoodies, sports tops, leather, denim or fashion jackets are allowed.
- No caps or hats of any kind can be worn in the school building.
- Plain black belts can be worn but no fashion belts.
- No extremes of dress e.g. extreme hair styles, overly tight shirts or skirts, or short skirts.
- No make-up and only clear nail varnish may be worn.
- No jewellery except for one small plain gold ear-stud or small sleeper in each ear lobe and a watch. No nose studs or facial piercings.
Our PE Kit is:
- Short sleeve school training T-shirt
- ¼ zip school micro fleece
- School shorts & football socks or tracksuit bottoms or Leggings
Recommended Additional Items:
- Gum shield
- Shin pads
- Football Boots
NO JEWELLERY TO BE WORN IN ANY PE LESSONS.
Our uniform and PE kit suppliers:
116-118 Bramcote Avenue, Chilwell, NG9 4DR
Tel: 0115 925 8046
Please see an update here (June 2020) from Morleys, who recommend shopping online rather than visiting store during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
(Appointments still available in store for new starters requiring full uniform)
Big Fish School Wear
Web username: Alderman
Web password: AW123
If you wish to wear items of non-uniform due to any religious or cultural background please contact the school.
Property and Personal Equipment
In order to be COVID-19 safe, it is vital that all students have their own equipment each day that they alone are using in order to reduce any potential transmission risks. Equipment cannot be shared under any circumstances (other than scissors and practical equipment where use will be minimised, and items will be disinfected / quarantined after use)
Your child must have the following equipment with them in school every day (all items as far as possible should be clearly labelled or marked):
A pencil case or tin containing:
· At least 2 black/blue pens (more is fine)
· 2 green pens
· Pencil and sharpener
· Ruler (preferably 30 cm)
· Glue stick
· Coloured pens or pencils
· School compliant scientific calculator (can be purchased from school for £8.50 if not already owned) – details of how to order remotely are available through the school reception.
Your child must also have a suitable face covering (ideally with a spare in the school bag) which must be worn in corridors, communal areas of school, the cafeteria and when queuing for lessons.
A suitable school bag large enough to contain the equipment above as well as schoolbooks / folders / additional equipment when these are required to be taken home.
If you require support with providing equipment please contact your Progress Leader via the email address below…
The following equipment will be provided by school and your child must take it with them to every lesson:
• Reading book - these will be borrowed from the school library and quarantined when returned.
• All students will be provided with a whiteboard, pen, and cloth which will need to be carried in school bags.
• School diary.
On the days required:
PE Kit – students should wear full PE kit to school; on days when they have PE (changing facilities will be made available on request if wearing PE kit for the day is a barrier to accessing PE or attending school – please contact your child’s Progress Leader if you would like to request this for your child).
Food Technology Ingredients (on the days where required) – you will be notified of this via stickers in planners / recipe sheets which will also be available on the Google Classroom as assignments.
Any incidents of students not having full equipment or face covering will be logged and followed up with parents/carers in line with the school behaviour policy as a COVID-19 security risk. A quarantined pencil case will be loaned for 1 day only.
Unfortunately, having evaluated the risk of lockers in terms of ensuring a COVID-19 secure environment, lockers will not be available immediately at the start of term.
ALL lockers currently occupied by students in years 8 to 11 must be emptied and keys returned to the box in reception (in an envelope clearly labelled with full name and tutor group).
We will review the use of lockers as the year progresses and of course will keep you informed.
We would encourage parents to pay for lunches on sQuid. If you would prefer to pay in cash, please avoid sending large sums of money into school unless for a specific reason (for example paying for a trip), although this can be avoided by using the ParentPay system. Any money that is brought in should be stored securely about the person and not left unattended in bags or coat pockets.
The school cannot be responsible for personal equipment, although naturally, we try hard to create a safe environment. Students should not bring in valuables, for example, mobile phones, iPods, iPads, or electric games into school. We cannot be held responsible for any of these items in the event of loss or breakage.
It is very sensible if all possessions are clearly marked with the owner’s name. This makes the task of searching for lost property much easier.
As always, thank you for your continued support.